Sunday, April 29, 2012

Tif and Ashley in town

I mentioned in the last post that Tif convinced me to ride a century and be on a Lotoja relay team. We need some training. So she and Ashley escaped the cold SLC weekend and come down here to get in some riding, much needed girl time in, pool time, and some surprise "Mountain Man Rendevous (Rondy)" time.

Brandon was great to take Griff Friday night and most of Saturday so I could just do whatever with the girls (Thanks, B! I needed it). So Friday night when Tif and Ashley arrived, we went on a quick ride in perfect temps. Ashley said it best when she said, "riding always makes me happy, no matter what mood I was in before." After the ride we were headed out to dinner when Tif saw my orange shoes by the door.
She loved them so much she had to go get a pair at the new Gap outlet immediately. We took a spontaneous trip to the Gap for 30 minutes of the most fun, rushed (they were closing), successful bargain shopping I've ever done. I hate shopping, just ask Brandon. But we were finding things we liked around every corner and often found the same items. All three of us walked out with some great finds and Tif and I now have the same orange shoes and a new pair of blue shoes.
I make a big deal about the shopping because I haven't been shopping without a baby or pregnant in...well 16 months. And, I don't typically like shopping, but this time was so fun.

Saturday we went for a 30 miler. We (and when I say 'we' I mean Tif and Ashley because that's the farthest I've gone in 1.5 years and also the third ride I'd done in 4 days so my legs were toast and I'm not sure I could have gone longer. Btw, those two are strong riders and so fun to ride with. Although, I think I'll feel much better about it when I get some portion of my biking legs back. 

At the pool I caught Griff entertaining himself with his own little song/babble/dance thing. I should've gotten on film so you could hear it, but the pics are still pretty good.










 After the pool we headed to the Mountain Man Rendezvous. The Rondy is a weekend-long event out in the brush of Southern Utah where people reenacting pre-1840 mountain life. It's like a mini village set up with teepees, tents, dutch ovens and open fire cookouts. People dress the era, cook the era, and sell goods of the era on trappers row. They also have hatchet throws, frying pan tosses, archery, black powder gun shooting, and enough awesome people watching to keep anyone from being bored. The people who do it go all out authentic. It was like taking a step back in time.

notice the rest of the animal skin, including legs, cascading down my back



We just found out it was this weekend so we headed up, but didn't give ourselves enough time before they shut down all the public stuff for the night. Next year, we are planning ahead so we can shoot and throw things.

New York style pizza to end a fantastic day

Saying good-bye at the end of a great weekend.


2 comments:

Turner Two said...

Looks like you had a fabulous time!

You deserve it!

Miss you! Griff is amazing!

Tif said...

Yeah! Sad I didn't read this earlier. I had such a great time. I can't wait to come back. Remember how we were offered "hot chocolate"?