Friday, June 21, 2013

June Powell and Birthdays

We had the best campsite we've had since I started going to Powell with the Andrus family back in 2006, and we didn't even have to go up the lake to find it, which is usually the case. We were right in Wahweap Bay. We had our own little cove, a peninsula that created a shallow swimming lagoon for the kids complete with a rock to climb on, and a 12 foot high rock to jump off. The water this trip was still pretty cold, but the air was so hot that I got in several times despite the hyperventilation that occurred for the first 30 seconds while trying to adjust. Before long, though, the water felt refreshing and I could stay in a lot longer than I though I would be able to (I'm a pansy when it comes to cold water). Even Griff got in several times. He got really brave and started walking out to the climb rock by himself, which required submerging himself up to his chest in the water.

As an added bonus, Brandon and I had our birthdays out there. Mine is the day before his. No better way to celebrate than to sleep under the stars and wake up to a glassy lake. For my birthday Brandon arranged to have the legendary Uncle Dana come out (he lives in Page) with the "party barge" fishing boat and take us out fishing for the morning. Fishing with Dana is always a good time. We did well, not as well as when we went striper fishing, but we caught enough bass to be satisfied. Brandon caught the most. He was like a magnet. He even caught a Walleye. Later I was surprised with a pinata party on the top of the boat and a cake made of chocolate Dumford donuts, my favorite. Brandon also gave me a foot rub and Kathy painted my toes since I can't reach them anymore. For Brandon's birthday we went out fishing in the morning (we like fishing) and took a boat ride over to Antelope Canyon. We were lucky to be the first ones in so the water was glass. Air chairing all week and skiing were also a part of the celebration and we topped it off with lime jello cake, a birthday tradition. Happy Birthday to us!!

Grandma and Griff on the dock


Sunrise fishing in our cove

Mike was the first to catch a fish on my birthday exersion

The Walleye. Scary teeth

Uncle Dana

Smallest fish award

almost the smallest fish

My first fish of the day. Did I mention it got so hot we had to dip our shirts in water and wear them wet to handle it. We also jumped in a few times.


Ended the fishing trip with a double, we both had one on the line at the same time.


I have the sweetest husband

He gets it from his sweet mom

birthday pedicure

pinata party on the roof!!

Swinging with a baby bump is a lot harder and awkward than it looks

that's right....29 :)

Let the sucker addiction begin

This is where he stayed while we hit down the pinata. It was far away and safe with Grandma. The pinata scared him

Evening boat ride

Fishing on B's bday. Griff checking out the beautiful large mouth, but I'm not sure he's convinced of it's beauty



Antelope Canyon






This might be my favorite pic from the trip. Griff hates being splashed. When the ball landed near him, it splashed his face. He was not happy about it.




One morning I woke up and found Grandma in bed with the kids (Griff was out of his crib and the others had woken up and joined them)

Air chair




 


No comments: